Friday, November 25, 2016

RavenFrost 2016 Interview

1.Can you give us an update on what is going on with the musical project these days?

Sure. Ravenfrost has been around for ten years by now and this is the second full-length album after "Agonies Of The Past". I'm still trying to improve the sound quality with every release and I think I've done that again. It's getting harder to keep up the work on this project since I'm working full time, have a family and another band but Ravenfrost will always continue.

2.Recently you have released a new album, what are some of the things you feel you have done differently this time around that you where not able to do with your previous release?

Most important is: I finally released an album with real drums. That's a huge step forward. Troll from Succorbenoth did a fantastic job and really nailed the drums just the way they needed to be done. I also took lots of time to write the songs. There were like 12 oder 15 of them but I only selected the best ones for the final version of the album.

3.How do the lyrics differ on the new album from previous recordings?

"Lucid Nightmares" has a lyrical concept. As the title says it's about nightmares and how dreams and reality can mix until you can't tell them apart no more. A lucid nightmare would be a state where you would have horrible visions but could not move or do anything about it.

4.On the new album you have also used a regular drummer, do you feel this has made your music more powerful this time around?

Troll definitely made it more powerful. He added something brutal and aggressive to the sound of the whole album. I did not really tell him how I imagined the drums. In many parts he did them totally different from what I had in mind and it turned out great.

5.Also this new album was self released while your previous releases had a label, are you open to working with another label in the future?

I am open to that and would love to work with a good label. Unfortunately I haven't found one at the moment. I only had bad offers so I'm releasing the album myself. Maybe there will be a second release by a label. You never know...

6.Also this year you had also released a full length with your other band 'Grau', can you tell us a little bit more about this band?

Yes. Grau released "Transzendenz" this year via Dominance Of Darkness Records. I play bass and do vocals in this band. It has nothing to do with Ravenfrost's depressive/doom style. I'd say it's fast and melodic black metal.

7.You have also been doing this project for 10 years, what is it that keeps you motivated after a decade?

Well I still have a lot of ideas for new songs and I'm already writing stuff for the next album. This time the songwriting will be different because I know that Troll will do the drums. That's something completely new. Stuff like that keeps me motivated. Also seeing that Ravenfrost at least has some fans in the underground after ten years.

8.The new album is also available on bandcamp, do you feel this site has been very helpful for underground metal bands over the years?

I think it helped a lot. It's easy to use and you can make your music available for the whole world. Personally I believe in sharing music for free. Maybe that's why a label isn't that important for me.

9.Where would you like to see this project evolved into musically during the future?

Honestly: I don't know. That makes it interesting. Troll has done a lot of fast and brutal stuff. Maybe there is a way to mix this style with depressive black metal. Maybe I'll try something more progressive. We will see...

10.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thanks a lot for the review and interview. To everybody out there: You can download the album from my site (ravenfrost.bandcamp.com). Feel free to share it and tell me what you think about it.

Bandcamp
Facebook
Myspace
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment