Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Wampyric Bloodlust Interview


1. For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

Greetings!  I started Wampyric Bloodlust in the end of year 2009 on the “ruins” of my past project called Spirit of Night, after listening to a lot of the Finnish project known as Satanic Warmaster. Bought myself a guitar (before that I took instruments from my friends) and began writing music. So, this is how it all started. I play Black metal with different varieties such as Doom, a lot of keyboards but I always try to make an accent on the melodies and the combination of cheerfulness and melancholy.



2. How would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recordings?

I am still fascinated with the specific Black Metal timbre, tremolos, fast and high pitched string notes – this entire still fascinates me and it can be found on each album of WB. Although they all differ – from the lyrical themes to the sound itself. As I mentioned before I try to make an accent on the melodies and use high, heartrending vocals.



3. Your lyrics deal with Satanism, Occultism and vampires; can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in these topics?

Well, all those lyrical themes aren’t listed by me, but by the person who updates the MB page on metal-archives. I don’t want to say that it’s all not true…Still there aren’t all the themes I use in my work. I can talk a lot about all of this, but will cut a long story short: I am attracted by different things in Satanism and other things despite the variety of forms of each theme. Obviously I deny LaVey’s “Satanism” and other subcultural and personal habits of atheists who use the esthetic of Satanism to cover up their “progressive” views.

I stopped using Occultism a few years ago dues to a few reasons.

Vampires are simply a great folk image and a wide theme. Sadly nowadays to me it looks rather mawkishly and uninteresting.


4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Wampyric Bloodlust'?

I could come up with a fancy explanation but in reality it’s just a personalized name, which reflects one of the main lyrical themes...


5. Currently the band is a solo project, are you open to working with other musicians again in the future?

I’m always open to work with others and look forward to it. I lived in the big city for two years, but all my attempts to play in band didn’t result in much. The band was either not serious enough, without the required passion to write music, and lots of other reasons… Where I live now – easier to say I’m the only one interested in making music. But collaboration with other musicians is always a plus and the Internet provides such a possibility. OftendifferentpeoplerecordedstuffforWB. For example in my other project named Theoroth (https://www.facebook.com/winterwyvernepicabm/) my close friend from Scharfrichter will perform clean vocals on a song from the upcoming album.

6. The last album was self released but you have also been on a label before, would you be open to working with another label again in the future?

Actually I received a lot of proposals to release my music on physical format since the release of “Reborn” and even before it. But the proposals are always from dubious labels, with low-quality printing and so on. Today it’s easier for me to upload my music on bandcamp and receive money directly. More to it – I upload my music so you can either download it for free or download and pay as much as you like. As simple as it may be, I don’t give a damn about the money for my music. About CD releases – I have plans to make small amounts of self-released but soulful copies with lots of exclusive bonuses. Don’t actually plan to release music on labels. These are different times and I’m not too upset about the death of physical formats. Music – that’s the main thing.



7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?

All negative comments on all my projects are either from my friends or my compatriots. You know, “our people” have a very rotten mentality, when it’s easier to spit in the musician’s face either than to support him. And after that they wonder why everyone around is so angry and dissatisfied… But I appreciate and listen to the opinion of my friends (sometimes some, sometimes less).



8. What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that you are a part of?

A lot of things: WB will for sure release something this year. An album or a long planned compilation with a lot of unreleased stuff, old versions of released songs, covers.  Something will be for sure.

Theoroth (ex-ЗимнийДракон) – perhaps this project became my main one. Keyboard music but with a notable influence from Black Metal. Something like Epic/Atmospheric Black – all the lyrics and the whole concept of the project are based on a fictional universe that I work on since childhood. A full-length is almost ready and there are planned a few split releases.

There is also Time Heals Nothing – a depressive project, in which I planned to play canon and plaintive depressive black metal, but in result I released a demo tape in 2013 and it all just stopped. But basically I don’t rule out the possibility of a new release in the near future. A friend of mine, leader of Genesis Mortis (awesome black/death metal from Saint Petersburg) wrote the lyrics for one of my funeral tracks, so be sure to wait for something new.



9. Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?

Actually I never thought I would be working on music. And it continues on for seven years straight. And I don’t feel tired at all. It’s just one of those things worth living for.





10. What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

First of all it is Satanic Warmaster. Without him I wouldn’t have started playing the guitar and wouldn’t have answered all of these questions for you. After that, I’d say Immortal had an influence on my music. But it’s hard to call them pure Black Metal, I wouldn’t say that they ever played it, but the mood of their music had a great impact on me. “Battles in the North” was the first album with raw production that I’ve heard. From the most recent I can mention Caladan Brood. Pure genius! But in general I listen not only to metal music. It’s important that the music has at least some kind of melody and internal content (I don’t like the word “atmosphere” because it covers nothing, but if you like, you can call it atmosphere).



11. What are some of your non-musical interests?

Books. Since childhood I love reading very much. This is one of the few things I pay for. I don’t even pay for the music, never bought anything, but I always buy books up to now. My other interests aren’t too far from music. Basically I only work with music, read books, work and sleep. I’m quite the boring type.



12. Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

I see a lot of sanctimony in the music world nowadays. When people try to be someone they are not. Trying to be “true” – means to kill your real self as a creative unit. Be yourself. Listen to what you like, do what you like. Don’t search for easy ways – follow your own path.

Bandcamp
Facebook
Myspace
VKontakte
VKontakte

No comments:

Post a Comment