Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Wounds Interview


1. For those who have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about this project?


Firstly, thanks for your invested time and interest. I appreciate it.



I began writing/recording the early tapes in 2006 on an old Fostex 4 track. Those tapes contain several early songs, but it wasn’t until 2008 when my vision truly solidified and things began to sound the way they do now. The last rehearsal tape would eventually become “Unrest”, which I have plans to re-record sooner or later. There is a lot of unreleased material from the early days that may or may not see the light of day.

2. Recently you have released a full length album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the demo you had released in 2011?

The sound is “thicker” and more mature than how I sound on “Unrest”. I give my work the attention to detail I feel it deserves. I’m a very obsessive compulsive and disciplined musician, meaning, I am a perfectionist. As a general rule, the darker and weirder, the better. I hold my works to my own standards, and what I hear internally is exactly what should be replicated. I play guitar in a very specific tuning. All drumming for Wounds is my own; I’ll never use any programming. As far as my voice is concerned, I don’t like being human, much less sounding human.


3. The musical project has been around since 2006 but so far there has only been one demo and album, can you tell us a little bit more about the gap between releases?

The songs featured on II (Decay) were primarily written in 2009 and 2010. Those songs were originally intended to be released as a demo a few years ago, but as my vision for this release grew, it became the full length album instead. The “hibernation” as I like to put it, was intentional. During the silence I was very busy, musically and with other things. I spent a lot of time working on new material, which I have plans to release in the near future. The early tapes weren’t released because they weren’t good enough (as far as my standards are concerned) to merit a release, in my opinion.

4. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with the music?

I’m not very good at putting my mind to words in a manner that exactly states what it is that makes me be, but my art is a manifestation of spiritual energy. Wounds is my outlet of escapism. It is the direct projection of (often) negative spiritual energies, a means to prey on human fears and weaknesses. There is an element of isolation, anger, and hate attributed to my art, a ghostly, death-like adaptation of those energies found in our physical plane of existence, found in you, and also in me. Wounds exemplifies the astral plane, the spiritual realm and its imprint on our physical world; a visual and aural representation of a dark and dismal afterlife/universe. I contemplate and dwell on a lot of esoteric and existential subject matter, but for the sake of being as coherent as possible and not sounding like I belong in a straitjacket: Wounds is a projection of my disdain for humanity. It is my vehicle as an artist to channel this anger. I am a firm believer that man has truly become that of a parasite, leeching and destroying nature for material and capital gain. The problem being that we don’t give back what we take from this earth. We as humans have lost sight of our spiritual existence, and we deserve to die as a result of our arrogance and lack of respect for the natural world. I’m sure any elemental spirit would agree the same.

5. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name ‘Wounds’?

I chose the name around 2008 or so, but the meaning behind it can be somewhat divulged from the previous answer.

6. With this musical project you record everything by yourself, how do you feel you stand out among all the other solo black metal projects that have come out over the years?

I have an extraordinarily vivid, creative, and dark imagination. I think the passion for what I do is evident, and is only paralleled by those who also spend time perfecting their craft rather than releasing every single miniscule idea that comes to mind. Musically, I strive to be myself, and only myself, so I don’t really pay attention to other bands for that reason. I prefer to limit external musical stimuli in favor of inspiration found through introspection, images, emotions, and the contrasting beauty of nature and its ability to kill us. I only listen to a select few bands, so I don’t really pursue other music because I’m just swallowed in the work of my own output. I see a lot of aimless musicians in the underground, striving to belong to something, hopping around through countless variations of the same project, without any clear, concise vision. Sheep who flock when the herd moves, the ones more concerned with image and releasing demo upon demo in order to satisfy a subconscious hunger of the ego. That mindset has unfortunately plagued black metal as a genre, resulting in a profound lack of musical integrity. It’s sad, but this is a lot of what I see. Because of this, I prefer to keep to myself. I have very few connections as far as this style of music is concerned, but that is ok with me. Many of my songs are written inside of my head while out or doing something unrelated, so I spend a lot of time piecing these works together in coherent structure to replicate what I want to hear. Ultimately, this endeavor is about me, myself and I, and I slave at my art for personal fulfillment, enjoyment and escapism, primarily. I believe every true artist in any genre can relate to this mindset as well.

7. Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

I haven’t received much interest, but that’s fine. I am not opposed to inquiries, but for now I am content with releasing my music on my own terms. I like doing things alone if you haven’t noticed.

8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?

I really am not sure, aside from the few initial album sales. I suppose time will tell. My only hope is that others might enjoy the escapism that my world offers in order to alleviate the pain and frustration of being human.

9. Where do you see yourself heading into musically during the future?

Many places. The ability to play music, to hear, to dream and to subconsciously write music is a gift I was born with, and it is my life’s passion right now, so I am utilizing this ability to every extent. I am highly productive lately. As far as my sound goes, I guess you’ll have to hear for yourself. I’m not one to stay in the past, though. My efforts will always remain diligent. What I can say is that it will become increasingly oppressive.

10. What are some of the bands of musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

A lot of the second wave has played a large influence on me, I think that can be heard. Lately I am into more dark ambient than anything else.  Over the years though I have been influenced by more than just metal and ambient. I find influence everywhere, from everything. Due to my productivity lately I only listen to my own stuff, because that’s really all I have time for.

11. How would you describe your views on Occultism?

Playing with demons comes with an obvious risk. I think those who find it impressionable – young people who jump into the practice of it without adequate knowledge of what inhabits the spiritual plane tend to lack the strength required to truly continue the practice. What I’m saying is: If you’re getting into it because your friends are into it, don’t kid yourself.

12. What are some of your non musical interests?

Over the years I have had several encounters with spirits, one including a demonic oppression. Due to those experiences I take avid interest in the paranormal. I study a lot of science and quantum physics. I've been playing Age of Empires for about 16 years so I find inspiration from that. I also spend a lot of time in the GWNF (George Washington National Forest), hiking, or otherwise lurking about. Trees and animals are my friends. I like the woods. It is a place generally devoid of humanity, and that is ultimately where I wish to be.

13. Before we wrap up this interview do you have any final words or thoughts?

Sure. Be true to yourself. Don’t succumb to societal norms and expectations. Expand your mind. Observe, learn, study, grow. Seek enlightenment. Worship your mother earth, the elements. She already has plans to wipe you from this planet anyway, so you might as well incite revolution, spiritual or otherwise, while you are human.

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Wounds/3540375721

No comments:

Post a Comment