Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Hat Interview


1. Can you tell us a little bit about the band for those that have never heard you before?
Hat started out as Ravner in 1993 with Undertrykker on drums, and Nevresch on guitar and vocals. At the time we had no ambitions, and put the band on hold three years later.
Ten years passed before we hooked up again. We discovered that our demons had grown even stronger than before, and a rehearsal place was located and Hat was re-created.

2. How would you describe your musical sound?
Undertrykker: “The Demise of Mankind” is a traditional Norwegian Black Metal record in every sence. On the new album we have progressed a bit and found our own style. It still sounds like raw black metal, and I am very pleased with the outcome. The new album will be entitled “Vortex of Death” and will contain 8 tracks.

Nevresch: On “Vortex of Death”, we have worked hard to create our own sound. We use samples and sound effects more often than on “The Demise of Mankind”. The sound is extremely aggressive, but all the instruments are well balanced so that details pop out as they should. The new album has a disturbing, Satanic and destructive feel to it. Just like our lives.

3. How would you describe the lyrical content of the music?
Undertrykker: “The Demise of Mankind” was an outlet for my disgust towards the human race. The lyrics are very honest and straight forward. I have always found the sufferings of others very appealing, and that shines through I think.. Embrace Hate!!

Nevresch: The lyrics on “Vortex of Death” are more philosophical. Anti-life, Anti-cosmic and personal disturbance.

4. According to the Metal Archives page you took a 10 year hiatus, what did you during that time period and what made you decide to reform the band under a different name?
Nevresch: I went to school. Tried to live a normal life. I found out that a normal life is not something that fits with my beliefs or values. We are all slaves of organized living, but I try to take as little part of it as possible.

Undertrykker: The name Ravner didn`t suit the state of mind we had when we decided to restart this band. Hat (hate) felt a lot closer to this feeling that had grown inside us. It`s one of the more honest and pure feelings I think.

5. The last album came out on both AntiChristianFront Recs and Abyss Records, how would you describe the support that you have gotten from the 2 labels so far?
Undertrykker: We have been very satisfied with Abyss Records, and they will also release the new album. Dan is working hard to make the label as good as it can be, and that is something we appreciate very much. Check out www.officialabyssrecords.com

Would also like to thank AntiChristian Front Recs who made it possible to release “The Demise of Mankind”

6. When can we expect newer material and what direction do you see the music heading into?

Undertrykker: As mentioned earlier we are almost finished with the new album. We don`t have a release date for it yet, as things always takes a lot more time than expected. We are in the finishing stages of the mixing process. The mastering of the album will be done by Tom Kvålsvoll at Strype Audio because we liked what he did on “The Demise of Mankind” and have great respect for his work.

7. Are there any current side projects, if so who are they and what kind of music do they play?
Nevresch: I have a side project called “Det Vidaapne Gap”. I have only recorded one demo called “The Temple of the Mind”. When the new Hat album is out of my head I will continue this work. DVG is not traditional Black Metal. It is introverted, apocalyptic, experimental Black Metal related music. I do not look forward to go into it again, but it is a part of me, and something I have to do.

8. How has the feedback been to the music so far from black metal fans worldwide?
Undertrykker: It seems people still like the old school black metal we have delivered and reviews and feedback has been really good in general.

9. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced the music and what are you listening to nowadays?
Undertrykker: I wouldn`t go as far as to say I have been influenced by any bands in particular, but I grew up with bands like Darkthrone, Gorgoroth, Mayhem and such when I was young, so much of my perception of black metal comes from this era.
Nowadays I listen to bands like, Sadistic Intent, Orcustus, Funeral Mist, Bethlehem, and Inquisition. Many other bands as well of course, but mainly black metal or death metal.

Nevresch: This last year, I have been listening to our new songs and ideas mostly. That is how I work with the music I create. I listen to it a lot to be sure of its quality.
10. What role does Satanism, Occultism or Anti Christianity play in the music?
Nevresch: The presence of the force is very important in our music. Call it Satan if you like. It is the force of primeval chaos. It stands above good and evil. Above all man made religions and organized ways of living.

11. What are some of your interests outside of music?
Nevresch: I work as a Graphic designer. I am fascinated with the process of destroying one owns creation to create something new, just like in music. The destruction of creation.

12. Any final words or thoughts?
Hail Chaos!

Check out our myspace page www.myspace.com/evighat

1 comment: